Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Getting Closer

Well, it all begins July 5th. And we hope to use this blog to chronicle our thoughts and experiences while spending 27 months in the Kyrgyz Republic with the Peace Corps. So far what we know is that Sarah will be teaching English at a university and I will be aiding in the development of non-governmental organizations. We will also have an opportunity to learn either Russian or Kyrgyz. We’ll find out more once we’re in-country. And when we know, we’ll post.

For now, Sarah and I are doing what we can to prepare. Now that we’re done with school, we put our home on the market and are preparing to sell our vehicles. When Sarah’s done with teaching, we’ll be moving from Ventura to Solano County for a couple of weeks before leaving for Philadelphia then to Kyrgyzstan. We’ve started learning the Cyrillic alphabet and a few very basic Russian phrases, compiling a packing list, and reading whatever we can get our eyes on about the Kyrgyz Republic. We each have to keep our total baggage weight under 100 pounds, so packing should be interesting. Any tips are welcomed. And, once we’re in-country, care packages will be generously accepted! =)

Well, that’s about it for now. Don’t want to bore you too much on the first post. Please check back soon as we continue to add to this site. And feel free to leave a comment. We’d love to hear from you.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW! That is amazing you guys! I can't believe you are gonna be so far away. How exciting! Will you still be together over there? Or will you be in separate towns? I guess I am asking...will you see each other every night? I think I would be fine if I knew I would see Bob every night. Wow...I am so shocked and excited for you. Keep us informed and have an adventure of a lifetime...now is the time to do it. You will be doing much needed and meaningful stuff!
Love you both,
Wendy

7:52 AM  
Blogger Devin said...

Thanks, Wendy. We’re so excited. And, yes, from what we've heard from current volunteers, we will still see each other every night. We'll definitely keep you posted.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Devin and Sarah, good luck over there. What an adventure... I forsee a book perhaps..

Take care
-Scott

3:08 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Devin and Sarah, good Luck! It will be an interesting and memorable adventure I'm sure. Check to see if the vodka over there is really any good!!! Hope to see you guys before you pack up your 100 pairs of underwear;)

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard from Dennis that you two were doing this! Congrats and let us know what items you like for the care packages. Take lots of pics if you can, we'd love to see what you are doing and where you are at. Enjoy everything and have fun. We'll miss you both.
Vicki
(scotts wife)

10:02 PM  
Blogger Newton said...

I'm jealous! You two won't love every moment, but this is truly going to be a life altering experience in so many positive ways. Live large, and keep your minds and hearts open to all the possibilities that await you! As John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." ST

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys never cease to amaze Dad and I. You don't know how very proud we are of both of you and know you will succeed in anything you do together. You are each others best support group. All us parents can only sit back and observe.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys, I can't wait till you guys are back in Solano County. We will have to spend some time together before you ship off.
100 lbs huh, well as you know Devin marriage is not really 50/50. So I say Sarah gets 75 lbs and you get 25lbs :)
Love ya lots
Chris

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Devin and Sarah, good luck to both of you.

If you want to know more about the country you are going, I recommend books by Kyrgiz most famous writer Chingiz Eitmatov (I'm not sure about that name correct spelling, because I've read him in Russian only), but I'm 100% sure that the English versions of his works do exist. It is a world class literature and you'll definitely enjoy it.

Best wishes.

Misha.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome. Sarahs essay made me cry too. You both sound so eloquent.

Love, mom in rio

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commented on Devins essay this a.m. but don't see the comment here, so will reiterate.

Great work Dev, made me cry.

we are so proud of you both.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ok...so I just read both of your essays! You 2 have grown so much...we don't get to spend near enough time together to really know how meaningful each of our lives have become. I know that you both will grow and learn even more in your new adventure. I can't wait to read/talk about your adventures and teachings in the future. When you come home...we will have much to discuss.
Smooches to you both.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your story brought a tear to my eye, and why could you not get peace corp work here is Hawaii?

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home